Wednesday, January 1, 2003

Step 2

1. Read pages 44 – 57 in the AA Big Book. Highlight the places in the book where you find important concepts:

A Vital Spiritual Experience
- You may be suffering from an illness which only a spiritual experience will conquer
God As A Power
- Lack of power, that was our dilemma … it had to be a Power greater than ourselves.
A Simple Belief Or Willingness - Our own conception, however inadequate, was sufficient; we could commence at a simpler level.
A New Attitude - Take a certain attitude toward that Power: sweep away prejudice, think honestly, …search diligently within yourself
The Second Step Proposition - Face the proposition that either God is everything or else He is nothing. God either is or He isn't

2. Write a list of your obstacles to faith (or why your conception was inadequate).
3. Write a list of reasons to believe.
4. Write the following sentences out at the bottom of your page:

• I believe or I am willing to believe that a power greater than myself can relieve me of my addiction and restore me to sanity

• I am convinced of three pertinent ideas:
(a) That I am an addict and can not manage my own life.
(b) That probably no human power could have relieved my addiction.
(c) That God could and would if He were sought.

Second Step Prayer
Heavenly Father, I know in my heart that only you can restore me to sanity.
I humbly ask that you remove all twisted thought and
addictive behavior from me this day.
Heal my spirit and restore in me a clear mind.
Amen

Mission

This is a blog about one man's experiences in 12 step recovery and the spiritual life. ~