Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The Miracle: "We Admitted"

I AM A MIRACLE , January 1
The central fact of our lives today is the absolute certainty that our Creator has entered into our hearts and lives in a way which is indeed miraculous. He has commenced to accomplish those things for us which we could never do by ourselves. ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 25

This truly is a fact in my life today, and a real miracle. I always believed in God, but could never put that belief meaningfully into my life. Today, because of Alcoholics Anonymous, I now trust and rely on God, as I understand Him; I am sober today because of that! Learning to trust and rely on God was something I could never have done alone. I now believe in miracles because I am one!

--------------------------------

The Daily Reflections Website listed this reflection related to Step 2. I wondered why this would be in January and not be on Step 1. I thought it must refer to the fact that Step 1 IS "The Miracle". It got me thinking that it must be a transition from Step 12 since the last focus was on "all our affairs". Perhaps this was to bring us back to our Primary Purpose.

Another perspective might be that a 12th Step well performed always reconnects me with Step 1.

Tonight at a meeting I shared about this.

On my way home I thought more about the reflection and about "The Miracle". I remembered an insight a few weeks back that I'm not sure I wrote about.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All my life I never witnessed a tangible Miracle. This was one of the reasons that I didn't have real faith. I believed that there was a God. But I thought this was just for the afterlife. I saw some synchronicities and even had some dreams and possible intuitions. But I never saw water turn into wine, until I came to AA.

I heard alcoholics and addicts give a description of their hopeless state of mind and body. They spoke of the nature of the disease, the physical factor and the mental obsession. They spoke of how they drank (or used) different than normal people early on in the progression and then how far gone they were at the end.

When I saw that they had recovered, I thought it truly WAS a Miracle. It was the first "real" miracle I had ever seen.

It was this witness that produced the 1st Step Miracle for me. The light of truth came on in me. I saw that I was medically incurable but the Power of God would restore me to sanity.

The miracle was that I could now see the truth about myself, The walls of denial and delusion were broken. I found willingness to consider that I needed to get this Power in my heart.

The same experience still occurs when I go to meetings and the light stays on.

They admitted, I admitted, "We admitted..."

This miracle is also the cornerstone of my faith.

My faith is the greatest joy in my life today. I am driven with desire to grow in understanding and effectiveness. I spend most of my thought life pondering matters of spirituality, religion, mysticism, philosophy and the nature of things. The architecure of my world view is built on the belief in the True and Living God. My world is secure, meaningful and Purpose driven.

Mission

This is a blog about one man's experiences in 12 step recovery and the spiritual life. ~