Sunday, November 25, 2007

Is Addiction a Disease

Alcoholism is a disease because it fits the definition of a disease. The body or mind is in a state of malfunction or disorder due to the introduction of a foreign substance. In my case I am either allergic or hyper-sensitive (it does a lot more for me than normal folks) to that substance or I have been over-exposed (years of excessive drinking) and toxified.

The disease concept really helps me because it explains why I can be so good and disciplined at so many other things but so lousy at stopping drinking.

The concept also helps me in that I am able to fully realize the grave nature of my state which is the motivating factor for me to do what I do not want to do.

Like a person who has cancer, my condition is chronic, progressive and fatal.

The good news is that the treatment is free and effective and I can recover.

Like the cancer patient, I am never cured but I get to go on and live a great life so long as I keep up my relapse prevention program.

My relapse prevention program:
1. Go to 12 Step Meetings
2. Get a Sponsor (or keep one)
3. Read the AA Big Book
4. Work the 12 Steps
5. Do Service Work

Bob S.

Mission

This is a blog about one man's experiences in 12 step recovery and the spiritual life. ~